Monday 16 December 2013

Quote of the Week - bell hooks



“I think we have to remember constantly that shaming is one of the deepest tools of Imperialist White Supremacist Capitalist patriarchy because shame produces trauma and trauma often produces paralysis.”

Really, I want to quote this whole video at you!  This conversation, beautiful dialogue between Melissa Harris-Perry and bell hooks is filled with clear thinking, precise articulation, reasoned argument, and the heartfulness that comes from living life in service to your gifts.  I'm so grateful that this happened!

I just found out about Melissa Harris-Perry - she's so amazing!  If you don't know about bell hooks, you might want to find out!

I chose this quote, because the moment was particularly moving and thoughtful and because lately my thoughts have been turning more and more to the idea that we are all a series of accumulated traumas walking around bumping into other people's traumatized selves.  I don't want to think this way, but even scientific research seems to be supporting the idea.

If we can pass our traumas on to subsequent generations, and we never resolve them ourselves, it seems like life will evolve to be a very frenetic event for future humans.

We might need to change the ways we are changing.

Time to meditate!



No comments: