Sunday 8 February 2015

Quote of the Week - Wilder



"Oh, earth, you're too wonderful for anybody to realize you. " 
~ Thornton Wilder


I love Thornton Wilder. I love that I share a birth date with Thornton Wilder. I love that people are rediscovering his writing. I love that Our Town is being reconsidered and presented for new audiences. His ideas feel very modern - instead of the quaint they ddi for so long. Ideas of community and sustainability pervade his work -- The Skin of Our Teeth happens amidst an Ice Age calling into question our ability to innovate and adapt to severe climates. 

There is a boldness to the way he embraces goodness and wonder in the simplest things. There is great subtlety in finding beauty in tiny places. It is something we are returning to after long abandonment. It's nice to know someone's left us a map of how to return.

No comments: