Wednesday 1 October 2014

Quote of the Week - Walton



"Until your business model reflects your values you are at risk of becoming what you say you are trying to fight."

When I read this as part of Mark's FB status, it hit me as a strong truth we need to recognize and analyze in moving forward. The discussion was on the new platform ello and its potential ethics.

"Potential ethics" now there's an interesting phrase. Yet, with the constantly changing rules and permissions of various platforms we are all linked to, it is worth discussing in advance of signing on for the latest social media app.

I'm busy building my own business model and questions of long-term sustainability are vital to creating a thriving cultural entrepreneurship. Burning out the base, or the leadership, the intended audience or the funding platforms - all of these mean an early exit. Yet there must be a sustainable alternative to the old models of "selling out" or world domination.

At least, I hope so.  Thoughts welcome.

(Thanks to Mark for permission to use the quote.)

(Now, I'm not staying on FB - it was an experiment. It failed.)

No comments: