Wednesday 20 January 2010

friends, fans and artists

I've been thinking about this for a week now. Erykah Badu on Def Poetry. I think it was Season 2. I think they thought, oh yeah, she fly, let's get Erykah. But she came out and she was all Badu. At the time I was still pretty fresh to spoken word, but I was a big Badu fan.

She came out with this little performance and we're all staring at the screen, like huh? She's got cards and words and do we actually really know what she's saying? And Erykah's best friend from college is a dope poet we all know and somebody else and Erykah they don't talk at all because of something something and we do feel close to her. But what is she on about?

But now you see, I've been thinking about it. Or at least the things she was on about have been thinking themselves into me. Friends, Fans, Artists. The differences in these groups. Falling into more than one of those groups or all three, is awkward, totally awkward.

I went back and rewatched. Finding that it all made better sense to me now, time passing, life changing as it does.




Friends, Fans, Artists...which one are you?

No comments: